Monday, July 10, 2017

Richard Dawson - Peasant 2017


Image result for Richard Dawson Peasant
Image result for Richard Dawson PeasantImage result for Richard Dawson PeasantImage result for Richard Dawson PeasantImage result for Richard Dawson PeasantImage result for Richard Dawson Peasant


One of those pictures is the album cover. Basically, I grabbed a bunch of images and dragged them around until I got itchy. That doesn't mean anything now, but just keep going. That's what I had to do.

1) Herald - Right oh. I can get on board with a nice instrumental lead track. As the kids are saying, that's my jam. Annnnd oh.. Why. random horn burps. Okay, cut that shit out.


2) Ogre - Group singing with short reprieves of singing. This is more distracting than anything else. I'm having trouble even catching the lyrics because the group singing is not good. How many people do they need to make this rubbish sound? Hmm.. Okay, halfway through we're hearing something a bit better here. Stripping down the sound was a much better choice. Okay, this is the peasant sound. Wow. This really turned into a pleasant sound. The Sun is dying. Whahhh, I don't know about that falsetto-ish voice. It's almost like he's trying to get to falsetto, but can't quite pull it off. Overall - I like this song enough that I want to listen to it again. Maybe my second listen will re-shape my ideas about the beginning of the song.

3) Soldier - The singer's voice is just shakey enough to give that authentic type of feel. Maybe his singing isn't his strength, but that makes me think that with this type of album that the writing has to be exceptional to make it worth an album. Sometimes, with writing there's the catch of a verse or song that can give the impression, but whole albums can be slapped together because an artist had one great song. The rest turns out to be rubbish and that's... well, that's when you realized you purchased an album that you only liked one song for. Thanks, Music Industry. When you really see excellence in the writing - you see it throughout. The song is just a chapter in a book. They work together in a complimentary and beautiful way. They stand alone, but the scope of the artistic piece is augmented by each other piece. Damnit, this song is ends and I haven't really written about the song. Yea, it's nice. Probably need to re-listen, but it's about the thoughts of a soldier.

4) Weaver - Hmmm this reminds me of something... Something I liked that does this better. Is it Phosphorescent? Damnit, this is going to bother me. Wait. I think it's Fire on Fire. I can't remember if that's what I'm thinking of. The way this song is playing the guitar on loose strings or something. I really want to check to see if I'm right, but there's no time for that! Onward and upward!

5) Prostitute - Damn, okay I think he should really consider giving up the falsetto attempt. It's not good. Also, I think this is about child sex trafficking and not really about prostitution. I don't have a lot to say about this song. It's meh.

6) Shapeshifter - I'm wondering what the title Peasant has to do with these song titles. When I think peasant, I think of a feudal serf. Like maybe they just think these things. I mean, an ogre, a soldier, a weaver, prostitute... then... a shapeshifter. I don't really understand what the hell is going on or why this would be built this way. I don't really have any qualms about disclosing that I can't stand Captain Beefheart (though it's been years since I've tried to listen to that rubbish), and this isn't that, but there's elements to that this reminds me of. That's not a good thing.

7) Scientist - guitar picking into a heavy handed string assortment. Yea, okay this guy has got to be thinking of "What kind of music could we make if we were peasants"? I guess he's nailing it? Which makes me think, that I don't want anything to do with peasant music. This was recommended as "Avant-Folk". For such an enticing sounding label, I want to murder this album so we can try something different to fit there.

8) Hob - I just checked. There's 4 more songs including this one. It's too much. I want to end this now, but for the sake of a full live review, I will continue. I suffer, so that you, dear reader, won't have to. This song is much the same as the previous. Except... yea, more falsetto attempts. Wow, I really hate this guy now. || Wow, I had to stop listening for a while, but came back... Still hate this. There is a very low priority on enunciation. That's not a bad thing in a lot of cases, 

9) Beggar - Apparently some music happened here. I didn't even notice it. Probably for the best.

10) No-one - This has to stop. How does this kind of thing get made. Someone thinks, "Yea, this track is necessary to the album. put it in there." "but it's just some droning noise." "just get it done."

11) Masseuse - This might be the least awful song on the album, but it's not good enough to warrant listening to the rest of the album. Maybe the strategy should have been to start here at Masseuse. Then work on the rest of the album. Similar to what an author might do. A rough draft starts, a lot of work, and then you realize after you've written thousands of words, that the story that wants to be told didn't manifest itself until tens or hundreds of hours had already been invested. 

Overall I give this album 2 stars out of a possible 15. I recommend it for someone that hasn't listened to any sounds for over a year and they are re-discovering their ability to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment